If there's one thing I really really love in this world... it's sleep. Whether it be a cat nap, disco nap, or full nights rest, there really is no better feeling. Perhaps that's just it, I love that feeling. You know, THAT feeling when you wake up after getting a really good sleep. I just feel different in all areas; mind, body, bones, muscles, even my spirit screams "you did great now lets go conquer the world!"
Unfortunately getting the right amount isn’t always common. Do you find that you’re trying to sleep but tossing and turning all night? Or maybe your mind just won’t shut off... Perhaps you’re in school staying up late to finish some homework or working full days (or nights) and you've only got so many hours in the day to catch up on other things. Life’s face it, life gets rough with all the TO DO's and sometimes sleeping gets just as difficult.
Sleep is actually super important, our bodies need rest our brains need a break. But are you aware just how significant sleep could be for your health? Quality rest equals an entire reset to your system. Yet even though you're "shutting down" your body performs some of it's most vital services.
Have you ever been working too hard or being a little too social that your body decides to stop working properly; i.e. you become sick and you're forced to take a break? By getting a good night rest regularly you can be more productive, increase your metabolism, as well as reducing the risk of problems such as heart disease, diabetes, and stroke. What else does it help with?... glad you asked. Do you suffer from depression? Sleep is a mood booster! Having trouble losing weight? Adequate sleep conserves energy, boosts the metabolism, and also curbs emotion based food cravings. In a mad mood? Try a nap. I know I get GRUMPY if I am lacking in the sleep department and a simple 15 minute reset can completely reset your energetic state.
If you’re having trouble here’s a few things that might help.
1. Stay off your phone or computer right before you’re heading to bed. This gives your mind time to relax without staring at a screen. If you must be on your phone try a pair of Blue Light Blocking Glasses.
2. Have a bedtime routine. Go through a routine every night before resting your head your body will automatically correlate this with sleep.
3. Take a relaxing bath or shower. My favorite is to fill a tub with Dead Sea Salt and soak for 30 minutes.
4. Do a light Zen yoga session. These YOGA BLOCKS help me to really get into my lower back back and shoulder area that can at times cause me to loose sleep. Also, if you're not sure what to do with the Blocks follow this flow!
5. Make sure your sleeping environment is comfortable. Your bed is cozy, your head is in a good level position (we highly recommend Proper Pillow) and that your surroundings are quiet, dark, and an even temperature.
Something that's worth noting!... Canceling plans to snooze is completely reasonable. "Sorry I can't I need to improve my health by getting some Z's."
What do you do to get better sleep?
Posted by Dhani